village is situated at the foot of the White Carpathians, about 8 km far
from Strážnice, 207 metres above sea level. The first written report about
the village comes from 1371.
The Church of St. John the Baptist from the 17th century
was re-built in 1902 and between 1986 and 1989, its interior was largely
reconstructed by Ludvík Kolek, the painter from Brno. Joža Úprka, the
painter of Slovácko (Moravian-Slovakia), lived and worked in the village.
His house was re-built according to the design of architect Dušan Jurkovič
in 1904. In 1899, Josef Pavlica, the Mayor and provincial deputy was
awarded the golden Cross of Merit. On this occasion, the linden alley,
creating axis of the village was planted. It became „family silver" for
our village and generations of the local inhabitants care for it and its
Since 1993, as a Member
of the Project for Country Renovation, the village has been refreshing its
cultural life and traditions, such as Ride of Kings. In addition, new
traditions come into being, e.g. tableau of Nativity Scene, Show of Men’s
Choirs or Delayed New Year’s Eve.
Annually held events:
February – Carnival
Easter Sunday – wine tasting
Mid-June – Village Day, sports and games
The first weekend in September– Show of Men’s Choirs
Presentation of Hroznová Lhota